Guardianship of Minors

Many family members need to seek guardianship of a minor child or children when the biological parents are not fit to take care of them. A Petition for Guardianship can be filed when a child is dependent, neglected or abused in a parent’s care. A parent may also consent to the guardianship being entered for their child.

Who Can file for Guardianship of a Minor?

Any person at least 18 years old may be the guardian of a child but if a non-relative the Division of Family Services may need to access the placement.

How an Attorney Can Help

The process of seeking guardianship is often very stressful. Often, the situation leading to the guardianship has been difficult and may have included instances of abuse and a petition may need to be filed an on emergency basis.

If your family agrees about guardianship, we can work to ensure all the paperwork is filed promptly. If disagreements occur, we can help everyone understand the options and even offer mediation as needed. We can offer advice about professional support and resources available for Delaware families.

Every step of the way, our goal is to help you make the best decisions for you and your loved ones. Contact Megan Walstrom at Walstrom Law to fully review your options.

Tell Us About Your Case

Fill out the form below and tell us about your case.

Your Name

Family Law

Matters of family law such as divorce, child custody, adoption and alimony which can stem from sensitive situations and require a professional and compassionate family law attorney in Walstrom Law LLC.